Monday, February 11, 2013

Ice Fishing, My New Late Winter Addiction

The cold wind was picking up as it rattled the portable ice house. Gray gloom and chilly temps surrounded my shack nestled over 8 feet of water. At least the rain had stopped. But now that wind made me wish it was raining and warmer again.
I thought at any moment that next big gust would be just strong enough to send me and my gear para-sledding across the pond. Suddenly, the rod tip tapped, I lifted up and the fight was on!
 

Too bad the fingerling bass wasn't much of a fight! But there were bigger fish there and I was happy to land the first one of the day. It had been five years since I last tossed a jig into the icy waters of an 8" hole in the ice. Back in college, I'd fish with some friends at ISU and I always enjoyed the time on the hardwater. It made winter much more enjoyable and I always vowed to get back into it someday. Either I didn't have the gear, or I didn't have the time, but this year I made it happen. And I'm sure glad I did!


As if a switch were flipped, the fish began biting with reckless abandon. One after another, I reeled them in and it was 6pm before I ran out of bait. I ended the day with a few keeper bluegill.


Caught in the excitement, I lost all track of time. I knew I'd be in trouble since I had just called my girlfriend reporting no fish after 5 hours of trying. I told her I'd be home by 6.

She forgave me when I made her dinner -fresh fish!

Here's a breakdown of the weather factors and ice conditions on a few ponds in central Iowa:


Weather Thursday, Feb. 7th:
Overcast, Rainy, Windy
Temps Falling Through 30s
Low Barometer, Rising Tendency
Ice Conditions:
6" to 8" of ice, with top 1" rotten ice melted from rain
5" to 7" clear ice, pond edges thinning
Fish Caught:
6 Largemouth Bass, 24 Bluegill


Weather Friday, Feb. 8th:
Overcast, Light Wind, Snow Showers
Temps in 20s
High Barometer, Steady Tendency
Ice Conditons:
6" to 8" of ice, top 1" white ice refrozen from previous day's rain, very slick
5" to 7" of clear ice, pond edges thinning, especially near mouth of creek
Fish Caught:
10 Largemouth Bass, 2 White Crappie, 28 Bluegill

No comments:

Post a Comment