Saturday, October 13, 2012

A Hunter's Sunrise



First light... Possibility, opportunity and a new beginning.

Whether it’s the blue-green glow of first light on opening morning or the feeling of heavy antlers from the first buck in your hands –sportsmen are blessed with some special field “firsts”. Perhaps one of the most rewarding is taking someone on their first hunt, a gift I was recently given when my girlfriend Heather went on her first bow hunt for deer.
Target practice.


It all started about a year ago when she asked me if I’d take her sometime I go deer hunting. Of course, I happily accepted, but I honestly expected this well intentioned gesture to remain just that. There’s a lot of preparation leading up to hunting season and it’s easy to fall off the wagon after-all. We talked a bit and she decided on the more challenging prospect of bow hunting. So we bought a Bear Apprentice, tuned it and began to practice. Alongside her brother she then signed up for hunter’s education, taking the online course with one field day and a test. Both passed with high marks and we were ready for season to begin!

Hunter's Ed field day and test.

This year has been the busiest of my life and hunting has suffered. Between work schedules, weddings and remodeling the house there was just no time to hunt the archery opener. We had to exercise in patience waiting for the first shooting window on Saturday October 6th. When the forecast rolled into range, I couldn’t be happier with a cold Canadian high pressure for the day. But cold temperatures can be a deal breaker for newbies, and Heather gets cold rather easily, so we really had to make sure to bundle up.

Cold but excited, Heather "experiences the wind."

The truck thermometer said 25F when we stepped out in the pre-dawn darkness. Our boots crunched through the frosty grass on the way to the stand. The hunting spot was a pair of hang-on stands in a cluster of Shagbark Hickory trees. I asked her how she was doing once we had our harnesses on in the tree stand and got thumbs up and a smile.


I’m used to hunting alone, and this was a new and truly wonderful experience for me! Sometimes we sat in silence, other times we whispered and quietly laughed. About two hours passed before the best part of the hunt. Two does and a fawn became the first deer of the hunting season as they magically appeared out of the woods. I noticed them first and described to Heather where they were. Once she found them her eyes got huge as she pointed at them saying, “There they are, I see them!”
Frosty silence.


We waited another hour and ended up seeing three more deer before the day was done. They stayed just a little too far away but we weren’t disappointed. Heather said that it didn’t matter that we didn’t take a shot -the suspenseful snap of a twig, and mysterious crunching leaves was exciting enough. I say anytime I can take a few hours to turn my mind loose in the wild outdoors is a good day afield. 


The scariest thing a deer will never see ;-)
I still remember the frosty morning of my first deer hunt as my Grandpa loaded up the truck. Sharing the outdoors with friends and family is what got me hooked on hunting 11 years ago. Being a part of Heather’s first hunt was truly rewarding. Whether it’s a son or daughter, boyfriend or girlfriend, friend or loved one if you have the chance -take someone hunting or fishing. Good luck, we hope to see you out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment