Monday, March 12, 2012

New Daily Fishing Weather Index

Extensive clouds on the satellite is
a good weather factor for fishing.
Check out this satellite picture of a well-defined storm system  with extensive cloud cover (white) spinning over Iowa Monday morning.

I use this Cloud Cover Forecast model to help predict cloud cover. I'll link this along with a satellite link under my favorites since these are handy to know, especially for fishing.

Experienced fishermen know weather often has a direct and sometimes dramatic impact on fish activity levels. Something as simple as cloud-cover can increase the fishing activity as lower light levels usually leave bait fish more vulnerable to attack. Low barometric pressure also tends to increase fishing activity, especially when the pressure tendency is falling. Sharp cold fronts, cold weather, high pressure and heavy winds and storms can bring the fishing activity to a grinding halt.

Caught hours before a cold front.
The day's fishing activity is a matter of balancing the factors. For example a few summers ago I went fishing as a strong cold front approached. The clouds thickened, the barometric pressure was low and falling, the wind picked up to a steady 15mph and rain fell lightly for 2 hours before the front. The fishing bite was extremely good due to a great combination of factors. After the front passed, the temperature plummeted, the winds were strong at 25 to 30 with white-caps on the water, the barometric pressure rose suddenly and the fishing activity stopped as heavy precip hit. Fish's responses to enviromental factors are complicated, but somewhat predictable. Overall, the fishing was moderate to good, but poor after the front moved in.

By considering these and other factors in my daily forecasting I will start sharing the daily Fishing Weather Index for central Iowa. I'll briefly discuss what major factors lead to that rating in the caption below the picture.

Today's index is 5. If you have any questions, comments or concerns please let me know! By paying attention to the forecast and the subtle weather changes I know we can have good luck fishing. I have learned many valuable lessons over the years and I expect to learn many more. I'll be sharing these throughout the season.

Good luck, and enjoy this beautiful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment